Tuesday 14 August 2012

contingency planning for rain -today's (tuesday's) ride

It's raining. not drizzle or a passing storm - proper English chucking it down. I have no contingency plan for rain, it's just a plan of get wet.

The lovely, lovely people at the Pleine Fougeres hostel have said I can hang around here for a bit and wait for it to clear up, which is very kind of them - fingers crossed, for two reasons:

firstly, today is probably my longest ride, around 45-50km I would guess, you can try and work it out from, yes, you've guessed it, one of my amazing maps. you can't even really see the starting point:


Secondly, I've just been looking at places to stop off as I am not due to check into la ferme gourmand until 1800 and I found this - basically a massive load of zip lines, vine swings and high walkways to play on in a nearby forest - I already emailed them in my excitement to see if they were open in this wether - they said to call back at 1100 and check if they would be open later - if they are, I am THERE!!!!!

If not, I think I will just have to brave the rain and get to the end destination and jump in their pool or something. If I don't drown.....

I might also look for some brown signs along the way - this is another thing I have experienced whilst travelling - stopping off at the brown sign - brown, the universal colour of "something interesting this way". why pick that colour??? In fact yesterday I stopped off at one of these signs:



Obviously I could not really understand what it said but it led to a cute,little, old chuch by the sea. A nice worthwhile detour - so thanks for that brown sign.








Here's what the church looked like, if you're into this sort of thing:


The sign also got me wondering - why are these signs brown?? My first random thought was that perhaps it corresponded to snooker in some way - the more common the sign colour, the fewer points in snooker - for example, you see a lot of red and white signs (red = 1 point) and a lot of white and blue etc etc... Brown is therefore more rare and more special.

Which of course got me off signs and onto snooker - who decided which colours shoud correspond to which number of points - why is pink so special (apart from you rarely see pink roadsigns - may be road sign frequency defined snooker ball points??? - This is turning into a massive tangent!!!!).

I went to google to find out and even the internet doesn't know - the only answer I found, in the Independent, did not say why the colours and points are as they are:

Why are snooker balls the colours they are?
In 1875, Neville Bowes Chamberlain and his fellow army officers at Jubbulpore in India sought to add some variety to the game of Black Pool by adding additional colours. Black Pool, primarily a potting game, was played with a white cue ball, 15 reds and a black. Chamberlain and his colleagues added three extra colours, yellow, green and pink. Brown and blue followed later. - J Langton, Sefton, Merseyside.

Then I started wondering if it was chemistry related and if the mass of the balls got molecularly heavier as the points ascended - then I realised I was being a bit of a goon so I stopped.

It's also stopped raining - which means I am scooting off to try my luck at the zip line park!!!
If anyone has the snooker ball answer, please put me out of my misery.

3 comments:

  1. Brown signs were originally cadged from the French. In the UK your are never more than five minutes away from one!! Masses in Derbyshire! Perhaps brown as it is one of natures main colours, think, earth, woods etc. and certainly it does stand out! Hope today is not too tiring and don't get too excited on the trip wires. You're not 10 anymore!! LMX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes - good point about the brown mother!!!! and don't worry, the wires were all closed even though it had cleared up and was sunny!!! gutted - they looked amazing!!! xxxxxx

      Delete
  2. This is my favourite post so far (though the bivalve one was close, made me drool) and I'm very happy you're constantly thinking of chemistry! I will now remind you of the Magic Square and hope you have fun playing with it one evening.
    More outfit pics pls! Enjoying feeling more stylish than you for a week...

    ReplyDelete