Saturday 18 August 2012

getting lost and getting sunburnt

And here is the penultimate post for the blog - contain your sorrow, there's still one installment coming tomorrow morning.....


Currently sitting in the hot evening air having a glass of wine suffering possibly from sunstroke - yes, dear reader, I have arrived at saint jacut de la mer.

It's pretty lush, check out the all action snap i managed to take whilst cycling here. This was just before I bowed to temptation and went for an instinct detour.... I had left Dinan mid morning and it was roasting. Having made my way fairly easily onto the right road to saint jacut I realised I had gone pretty far down the Gaussian curve and set myself a pretty quick ride.

Thus when I saw one of these on the side of the road, I decided to follow it in earnest, even though it felt like it was the wrong way.

These signs have been scattered around throughout the trip - basically France lends itself to cycling, they make a big effort to create scenic routes for your enjoyment and they are all signposted with these green bikes - there have been several times I have spotted one and instinctively wanted to follow it... this time I did!!!!

It's a bit like the capital ring walk - basically a massive walk all the way around London that you can do bits of if you fancy - for people who live in stokey, look at the lamppost at the junction of church street and stokie high street, you will see the green man sign.

I have attempted twice to follow the green man signs with my good friend sarah davies - once not massively sucessfully, the latter time, a week before my trip, we did rather well out of him. Hence my confidence that it would be the same here and if I followed the little green bikes it would all work out.

It didn't - I got lost and was halfway on the way back to Dinan when I consulted the map, cursed the green bike signs and found my way back. To here:




random hotel in saint jacut, only one here. It was still roasting so I headed straight for the beech, the sea was still freezing but I got in there and finally went for a swim. Then had a massive sleep on the beach, got a sunburnt back, found an old copy of the Times at the hotel, knocked off the killer sudoku, the classic sudoku and the codeword before heading out for a massive dinner of seafood, cheese and pasta. Lovely!!!!


Also picked up this - not an amazing novel but now I am hooked and am defo going to make sdw read this

when I get back so she can tell me, in her professional literary opinion if I have missed the point......

1 comment:

  1. What adventures plus sudoku and Making Love!! . A comic novel that supposedly falls in love with you!! Reviewed as brilliant, clever, absurb etc. etc. Enjoy. A bargain for 1p at Amazon!! Safe journey home, MX

    ReplyDelete