Sunday 12 August 2012

commenting is now free!!!

I have now figured out how to change the settings so you, my thousands of readers and disciples, may post away musings of your own below each of my joyously crafted posts. Or just point out what spelling mistakes I have made. seriously. I am aware spelling is not my forte, despite the copious amounts of scrabble.

Speaking of scrabble, I am now in Cancale in a rather fabulous hostel that looks like this....














....and has a table in the bar that looks like this:

I want one of these for my house!!!!! If anyone wants to make one for me then that would be much appreciated.

Now, what have I been up to you ask yourself I am sure. Probably...

Well, today I actually did some riding, which was really fun but a lot more up and downhill than I was expecting. Glad I fitted that water bottle holder or else I might have actually set on sweaty fire!!! Nice.


Last night I explored Saint Malo. What can I tell you about the place? It's very, very pretty, there's a really small old town that was about a 40 minute walk away along the beach, that's all walled off. Inside the walls, it's fairly typical French tourist fare. Interpretive street dancing (complete with girls who look a bit like the European version of  TOWIE), jazz bars and lots of restaurants that serve great food at a cheap price.

Oysters are the speciality of the region and I had my first load last night:

YUUUUUUMMMMM!!!!!!

I also learnt that there are a lot of drunk teenagers who come to the beach to hang out and try and pull when it gets dark - no, I stayed well away from them, before anyone makes any Mrs Robinson assumptions of any kind. I think I spotted German accents as well as French and there were loads of people randomly wearing orange so perhaps a few Dutch????

I managed to tell a joke as well, in french, to a drunk man. I say joke, it was more of a random put down:

Him: bonsoir madame, fnkajf jkdjakgj makjkwejfja  (Some french words that I didn't really understand, but the insinuation was that it was a proposition - that's my interpretation obviously!!).
Me: desole, je nes parle pas le francais.

No idea about the spelling of that and as I was saying it I was wondering if I was putting the verb in the right place as you do but you get the idea. I said I can't speak French, in French. hahahaha hmmmmmm.... ok may be it would have been better to break into "I don't speak French" by Girls Aloud whilst doing a siganture dance move.....

Moving on....


This morning, as I said, about five times, I journeyed to Cancale. The fun thing about the bike is that I can just stop wherever I fancy. I spotted a sign to "Les Rochers sculptes" and followed it to some eroded cliffs where an artist had fashioned faces into the rock. There were quite a few of them, some sinister, some who looked a bit more chirpy and they were all pretty impressive. I read here that it took about 25 years to make them!!! check them out:



I also found a sort of secret beach. I suspect some of you reading will have been travelling buddies of mine at some point in time and we all know that looking for secret beaches is one of the best things to do whilst on a trip. It was pretty well sign posted but rather deserted so that's why it's sort of rather than actual secret. Just as well there were not too many people around - whilst I planned for the eventuality of secret beach action by wearing the top of my bikini under my cycling gear, you are not supposed to wear anything under your cycling shorts. Cue a Mr Bean esque moment of trying to get said shorts off and bikini bottoms on without ruining anyone's morning sunbathe!!! It took a good ten minutes to make the changeover whilst avoiding a flashing situation but here I am, fully swimsuited, getting ready to run into the sea with absolute abandon - cycling is making me feel so free and at one with nature.....

.... apart from that it was FREEZING and I hastily retreated to the beach to hang about for a bit before getting back on the road. Too cold!!! I like a secret beach but not an ice bath.



I have since been for a little wander from the hostel to another beach and yes, the water there was no warmer and yes, I wussed out again and did not go swimming, even though there were loads of other people who seem to have wet suit style skin who can manage it.
Anyways, time for a nice long coastal walk into the main town - apparently it's a good 1.5 hours so that should help me work up an appetite for more seafood.

Finally, here I am, typing this blog - weird:



1 comment: