Sunday 12 August 2012

Actual, proper, cycling

Today's the day that I actually do some proper riding. It's already about 1000 degrees outside or something thereabouts so it will be interesting to see how I fare.

Occured to me that I've not actually explained where I am or where I am going so here's some rubbish pictures that will explain that and all of the amazing preparation I have made for this ride around France (ok technically it's a ride around a very, very, very tiny bit of France).

Overall route - if you can spot them, places I stop are numbered 1 - 8. It's costal riding and then rural france and then coast again, starting and ending in Saint Malo, where the ferry comes into.

Then it's:
Cancale (tonight)
Pleine-Fougeres (with a trip out to le mont saint michel)
La Bouexiere (no idea why I selected this tiny French village but there you go)
Combourg
Dinan (with a stop off at Saint Suellac and Saint Helen!!!!)
Saint Jacut de la Mer
Saint Malo (with a stop off in Dinard for a bit of a sail)

I've obviously learnt from my london to Brighton experience and made sure I packed emergency rations/energy bars in the form of an eight pack of trackers:

Yes you are correct there are only four in that picutre and yes you would be right in thinking that's because I have eaten half of them already. They are really tasty and I had a lot of emergency chocolate cravings on the trip over (one at work on Friday afternoon after purchasing the rations, one on the train to Poole and two on the ferrys over to Saint Malo) so it was impossible not to!! As luck would have it, I spied a Carre Fourre on my way to the hotel yesterday so will be popping in to top up the quota.

Also, as I have learnt from travelling solo, it's always good to have things to read so that you can entertain yourself. I have got with me quite a pretentious load of literature. Just look at it:


It basically says "yeah, I'm into Russian Literature whilst being interested in current affiars ("right on" newspaper - but it was Saturday's so I have all the supplements too!) and economics, oh and did I mention that I'm learning how to dive whilst on a cycling trip in France?".

I am very embarrassed to share this selection but there you go.




Righto - off to read the Economist on the beach. here's a bit of a better map that hopefully shows where i will be travelling in around one hour's time. toodalooo!!!


1 comment:

  1. Reading material + bike trip = WELL MIDDLE CLASS. Have fun x

    ReplyDelete