Monday 13 August 2012

cancale - a bivalve enthusiasts dream

Just sat relaxing in hostel number two, having made myself a delicious high carb feast. After today I think I will need the energy. The riding was HARD but loads of fun.

I seem to be doing this blog in a retro fashion so you will have to wait until tomorrow to hear about today, if that makes sense. It's only 2105 here but I'm already getting ready for bed - that's what physical exercise does to those of us who are not olympians.....

Anyway, Cancale - what can I tell you. I liked it more than saint malo - it's smaller, there's just one main street on the sea front and more butterflies than a Damien Hurst exhibit. Seriously they were everywhere - felt like being in a perfume ad - only slightly less glamorous - running trainers never look great with a dress but are essential footwear for costal hikes.

There were also loads of really pretty sailing boats - this one was one of my favorites, captured on my long walk into town:
I also really liked the fact that they had made such a nice costal trail so you could walk all the way from one place to the other.


This is one of the best snaps I got of the view from the trail - pretty pretty I think:
What was not quite so pretty was my "handbag" -  I didn't bring an actual handbag as there was limited space (I only have about two outfits..... they're already feeling a bit spent so I may come back with a lot of stripey breton tops - they are actually everywhere, it's not just a fashion thing, people in Brittany love stripes!!!) so I have had to make do with carrying my bare essentials in a black plastic bag. It's one of those small ones they give you in London when selling you alcohol. It's making me look, together with the trainers, a bit like a homeless person, which is not great for getting into restaurants!!!!

Speaking of which, if you like bivalves or crustaceans then Cancale is the place for you - they're everywhere - I've seen about 1,000,0000 signs saying "huitres" or oysters for those non-french speakers (yes, i can't really speak french either but because i've seen it so much, i've added huitres to my limited vocab) and also for cockles, mussles and whelks. what a delicious combo of seafood. There were many diners armed with those special cracker tools gauging on obscene seafood platters - I did partake of the oysters yet again, from one of these stalls that lined the beach:




 It was a couple of euros for a big plateful, some lemon and a bit of that onion stuff in vinegar. delicious.
Oyster shells also littered the beach and some people were collecting them up - I think they must have worked in the random shop I passed selling shells that had been rainbow painted.







Seriously about to pass out now so signing off. If you are craving for more French anecdotes and wonder then check out the classic farmhouse I am staying in tomorrow - I have also booked there for dinner as the owners also offer lessons in gourmet French cooking (and there's a heated pool!!! Swimming at last!!!):
http://www.fermegourmande.com/accueil.html

1 comment:

  1. Highly impressed with your progress. Becoming quite a 'snapper' too. Great pics! Seafood looks really yummy. Just like you. MX

    ReplyDelete